This week, Kevin Taylor was featured in the Guardian careers online article, ‘How to write a CV for marketing’.
The article provides tips and advice for graduates looking to pursue a career in marketing.
It begins by explaining there are specific skills that must be demonstrated such as a high degree of numeracy, organisational skills and the need to be articulate and empathetic with customers.
For digital marketing roles specifically, there is a requirement for individuals to understand the technologies available to communicate with clients and colleagues. Kevin’s input during a Q&A session on Careers in Digital Marketing is then shared. He said Gravytrain tends to hire, “people who have immersed themselves in digital marketing in their spare time”. He then urges digital marketing job seekers to get involved in blogs, showing off their own ideas and opinions – particularly on new technologies.
Following on from this are useful examples of what a good CV should include.
This week Kevin Taylor, Managing Director of Gravytrain, and many other names from the world of search and online marketing were brought together (figuratively in a UTalkMarketing article) to talk about innovations they can’t live without in the world of marketing.
From USB’s to Dropbox, WordPress to Modems and Twitter to the simple Post-it note, many interesting and varying innovations came up in the article, but it is clear that some are much more useful than others.
Although the Post-it note is very crucial to the world of marketing, Kevin went for Twitter, Google and the iPhone, which he says is so important because it “gives me everything at the tip of my fingers. From my work email and clients’ Facebook pages to industry news and my work diary, it has everything and anything I need to work from home, the office or on the move.”
Check out the UTalkMarketing article to see what else came out as being some of the best and most useful innovations in the world or marketing.
Gravytrain have recently released a new online purchase product for Lifesure – Static Caravan Insurance. It has the functionality to securely purchase insurance online, as well as it also providing the user with a unique Reference number that will allow them to purchase their quote at a later stage (Quotes only valid for 30 days). It also references a post code database to check whether the applicant is in an area that Lifesure cover.
If you are looking to purchase Static Caravan Insurance then look no further than Lifesure, click here to start filling out your online form now.
New for Old replacement available for Static Caravans up to 10 years old (subject to the sums insured representing the full new replacement cost of the static caravan).
Last week I was invited to a ‘Brand Marketing in a Digital World’ session at Google.
Currently in the UK, total ad spend is £20bn, with 23% of the total spent online. However, there’s a bit of a disconnect when it comes to Brand Marketing – offline, the split is around 50% on brand marketing; and 50% on direct response. Whereas online, just 5% is spent on brand marketing and the remaining 95% is on direct response.
Perhaps unsurprisingly the primary purpose of the session was to grab some more of that brand marketing budget… well there’s no such thing as a free lunch, right?
However, the session managed to avoid being entirely pitch, and some pretty interesting stuff was shared – so in the interests of share and share alike, I thought I’d share some of it with you.
Undoubtedly digital has profoundly changed both how companies reach their target audience, and indeed the ways in which they communicate with them. Traditionally marketing has been very much about the ”push’ – i.e. transmitting messages from the brand to the consumer. However, increasingly brands are electing to utilise ‘push’ techniques in a slightly different way – rather than simply ‘pushing’ their advertising messages, they are using ‘push’ techniques to encourage consumers to engage with their brands. This stimulates ‘pull’ – i.e. where consumers actively choose to view a brand’s content. ‘Pull’ is essentially about consumer engagement – and of course, here content is king.
The challenge for brands today is to create content which ‘pulls’ consumers in – they actively want to engage with the brand, and perhaps even participate.
Cookies are harmless files which can help improve the experience. Cookies allow websites to respond to you as an individual. The website can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.