The SEO industry, forum and leaders are all seeing “quite dramatic” fluctuations in the search rankings leading up to and around the announcement.
Google have reiterated the need to build “high-quality” sites which benefit the searcher. Expanding on some of the signals Google takes into account when analysing the sites are:
• Would you trust the information presented on the site?
• Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?
• Would you be comfortable giving your credit card information to this site?
• Are the topics driven by genuine interests of readers of the site, or does the site generate content by attempting to guess what might rank well in search engines?
• Is there social activity surrounding the brand/site?
• Are there strong engagement signals such as time on page, page depth and bounce rate?
• Are the articles short, unsubstantial, or otherwise lacking in helpful specifics?
• Are the pages produced with great care and attention to detail vs. less attention to detail?
• Would users complain when they see pages from this site?
Google is continually tweaking their algorithms resulting in regular fluctuations in the search engine results pages, ultimately trying to increase the positive User Experience of the sites they display.
Gravytrain are dedicated to building great content with a strong focus on gaining high levels of engagement and social signals as naturally as possible to ensure success within organic search.